One might be quick to assume Awujale of Ijebuland Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona is a regular monarch. However, this is not the case; he is a monarch with a difference. His very ascension to power was a pacesetting novelty that broke the traditional practice of ascension to power.
He authored his biography titled: “Awujale: The Autobiography of Alaiyeluwa Oba SK Adetona, Ogbagba II” where he revealed attributes and events that single him out as a one-of-a-kind monarch.
1 . The third child of seven children, Oba Adetona was born to Omo-oba (Prince) Rufai Adetona and Wolemot Ajibabi Adetona (née Onashile) on May 10th 1934.
2. For his primary school education, he attended Baptist School, Ereko, Ijebu Ode; Ogbere United Primary School, Oke Agbo, Ijebu Igbo and Ansar-Ud-Deen School, Ijebu Ode between 1943 and 1950. He proceeded to Olu-Iwa (now Adeola Odutola) College, Ijebu Ode for his secondary school education from 1951 to 1956.
3. On the 2nd of April 1960, he ascended the throne much to his surprise. He had been called back from London where he went to study accounting and was only 25 years old at the time.
4. He was nominated along with 5 others for the ascension as the Awujale of Ijebuland. Despite him being an unlikely choice and his obvious young age, he was unanimously selected by the kingmakers to ascend the throne.
5. He has reigned since 1960 making him the longest serving monarch in Nigeria. For an initial unlikely candidate, he has exceeded expectations by sitting on the throne for 59 years.
6. He has several honorary degrees including the Doctor of Law (LL.D) from the University of Technology, Yola and Doctor of Civil Law (D.CL) from Ogun State University, now Olabisi Onabanjo University.
7. Oba Sikiru Adetona has three wives and nine children. He is also a proud grandfather.
Hearty cheers to his majesty, Kabiyesi Alaiyeluwa Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona CFR, Ogbagba II The Awujale of Ijebuland as he celebrates his 85th birthday.