The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is set to arrest top politicians in connection with the alleged $2.1 billion arms scam. National Security Adviser (NSA) Sambo Dasuki and many others have been charged to court by the EFCC over alleged misappropriation of the funds.The money was meant for the purchase of arms for the ongoing counter terrorism operations in the North east. Sources told Daily Trust yesterday that further investigations by the anti-graft agency had shown that many more top Nigerian politicians have benefitted illegally from the arms fund.
“Investigation in many of the cases had been concluded and the suspects will soon be charged to court” one of our sources said.
The source added, however, that a few among them may not be arraigned immediately until the EFCC clears with “higher authorities” because of the status of those involved.
Daily Trust also learnt yesterday that the EFCC had given orders to its agents to arrest some present and former senior government officials in connection with the alleged fraud.
“They are likely to be picked up this week,” a source said, adding “one or two of them are really senior officials.”
It will be recalled that several names of top politicians of the former ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) were mentioned.
Already, PDP chieftains that include Anthony Anenih, Bode George, Jim Nwobodo, Bello Haliru, Iyorchia Ayu and Mahmud Aliyu Shinkafi among others are alleged to have received monies from the former NSA. Some of them have denied the allegations.
The EFCC on December 15 arraigned Sambo Dasuki, a former Minister of State for Finance, Bashir Yuguda, former Sokoto State governor Attahiru Bafarawa, his son Sagir and others on several charges bordering on money laundering and criminal breach of trust.
Details of a parallel investigation into the arms deal being conducted by the Defence Headquarters have so far remained secret. It is being rumoured that military commanders, including former service chiefs have appeared before the investigation panel but Defence Headquarters have so far declined comment on the matter.