Osun Compensates Owners of Demolished Buildings For Road Expansion

imageThe Osun State Governor, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola has said his administration had paid over N2 billion compensation for claimants whose houses were affected in the efforts of the government at reconstructing roads in the state capital.

Governor Aregbesola who was represented by his deputy, Mrs Titi-Laoye Tomori said N1.3 billion had been spent so far on compensation by his administration saying that other sum running to a billion had been spent on other claimants whose houses were demolished by the past administration.

Aregbesola made this known on Wednesday, 16th December, 2015 during the payment of N302.966 million to 127 owners of the demolished structures along Orita Olaiya/Asubiaro/Isale-Osun and Ita Olookan roads in Osogbo for the re-construction project.

While presenting the cheques to the beneficiaries, Governor Aregbesola advised them to use the money judiciously.

Aregbesola said he had spent N1.3 billion so far on compensation to the affected owners of demolished structures to pave way for dualisation and expansion of roads in the state capital.

He therefore noted that the compensation money was not meant to pay workers’ salaries and urged the beneficiaries of the compensation to renovate their affected buildings in order give Osogbo a face-lift.

Meanwhile, some owners of buildings in the capital city that were demolished by the state government in its road reconstruction exercise on Wednesday confronted the state Deputy Governor, Mrs. Titi-Laoye Tomori in protest over the non-payment of their compensation.

The irate landlords, most of whom are aged stormed Laro-Timehin Middle School, Isale Osun, Osogbo where the deputy governor was attending an event and displayed placards with various inscriptions calling on Governor Rauf Aregbesola to pay them the compensation without further delay.

Speaking on behalf of the protesters, Mrs. Funke Afolabi said their buildings were demolished in 2012 and that the governor had in June, 2012 invited the affected landlords and ladies to the State House at Oke-Fia where he promised to pay them after the governorship election in the state.

Afolabi said “when Governor Aregbesola invited us to the government house, he said there was no money in the government’s purse to pay us but promised to pay us after the election in 2014. We are angry because he has not kept to his promise and the government now has the money to pay us.”

The affected demolished buildings according to Afolabi were located at Ayetoro, Igbona, Old-garage, M.D.S, Fakunle and Ajegunle areas of Osogbo stressing that the compensation is almost N2 billion.

The protesters therefore expressed displeasure over the governor’s decision to pay claimants whose houses are yet to be demolished while denying them, whose houses had been demolished since 2012 their compensation.

Wielding placards bearing inscriptions like: “Ogbeni, Please Pay Us Our Compensation, We Want Justice, So, Ogbeni, Be Just And Fair,” the protesters almost distrupted the payment of compensation to other claimants affected by the road reconstruction ongoing at Orita Olaiya/Asubiaro/Isale-Osun and Ita Olookan road in Osogbo.

It took the effort of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun who was at the event to calm the protesters and promised to prevail on the governor to accede to their request.

Reacting to the protest, the Deputy Governor who represented Governor Aregbesola at the payment of compensation to claimants affected by the road reconstruction going on appealed to the protesters saying they would soon be paid their compensation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *